Title: How to list the best entry level job in your CV?
Landing a job as a fresher is in itself a job- finding the best positions, assessing pay packages, job descriptions and further opportunities of growth. Youths in India have a long standing complaint that unless recruited from campus placement drives, finding a job as a fresher becomes difficult. The main obstacle between a fresher and his dream job is- EXPERIENCE. What is more ironical is that- if a fresher does not get a job, where in the name of God will s/he gain experience from??
Keeping aside all kinds of job mismatches, there is still hope for freshers to land great jobs in their industry. Here are some key points which will help you land a great job as a fresher, helping you embark on a great career.
The bedrock to landing a good job is a strong resume. A resume must look stellar to a hiring manager and make him/her think “Where was s/he all this while??” Follow a format which highlights skills and their application in a particular job, experience so far in technical or managerial positions, objective of working in the job and contact details. In all likeliness, the resume won’t go beyond a page, but it’s a great thing because hiring managers do not have more than 12-15 seconds to spare to go over your CV.
The pointers listed below are invaluable almost when creating a resume as a fresher.
- Avoid including too much of information. Precision and context should be your guiding stars when it comes to creating the best resume. Analyse the position for which you are applying and come up with the information bits which would appeal to a hiring manager of that position. For instance, if you are applying to be a software tester, you can take out information pieces such as “performed stand-up comedy at the local laughter club” from your resume.
- Always cite references. Hiring managers often call up the references you have provided to find out your credibility and bona fide status as an employee. Some of the people whose references can be cited are professors whose courses you have taken or under whom you have worked as a research assistant, managers who mentored you at internship positions etc. Avoid citing parents, siblings, boy/girlfriends as references, because, quite obviously they won’t offer a true picture of you as an employee.
You can look up job portals such as Naukri.com and Shine.com to view a few examples of the ideal resume for a fresher. Better yet, log into myrefers.com to get your visual CV made.
Only THE most coolest way to express your true colorful self which would get you noticed 6 times more than a boring, black and white CV would! It clubs your skills under 4 heads- basic, intermediate, advanced and expert using color coding, includes a one liner summary and a time line based years of experience illustration. The visual CV is rounded off with contact and personal information displayed on top. It is vibrant, clutter free, simplistic and immensely powerful!
- Listing yourself on Job Portals
Job Portals can be a great source of first employment opportunities as companies often post job listings on these sites. Upload your CV, fields of interest and objective behind looking for a job. Sign up for a paid program as it would lead to more targeted job alerts.
There are plenty of job portals (naukri.com, indeed.co.in and yours truly!) wherefrom you can get great entry level jobs.
A word of caution- you may receive a LOT of alerts from BPOs which can get irksome if you are not interested in the sector. Nevertheless, for a lot of gain, you can bear a little pain.
- Mailing Hiring Managers
Often hiring managers do not go out with a microphone proclaiming job interviews and hiring processes. Dropping a mail to hiring managers creates a small caveat which can be widened up in future. Letting a hiring manager know you are interested in a position gets you noticed and shall bring your name to mind when the company needs to hire someone.
Forced applications have not been known to bear much fruit because HRs often caste them aside. But then, why leave this stone unturned?
- Contacting others for recommendations
Most companies are adopting a referral based hiring technique where they are sure to get great employees who bring a lot of experience, clarity and dynamism to different projects. Getting a referral for a position can cut an edge among other candidates who have applied for a position and shall fetch you a good pay package.
Get in touch with your seniors from college or university to recommend you for a position. You can also try out this unique job portal (www.myrefers.com) where employee referrals are the mainstay of getting jobbed.
- Packing your bags for your city of dreams
Albeit an expensive technique, many youngsters actually pack their bags for Bangalore, Delhi and Mumbai for better opportunities. Being in the city gives them an edge over the others as they can score a lot of walk-in interviews which they cannot get to know sitting at home. The process may be a time consuming one but it does give good results. The average time taken to find employment this way is around 2-3 months. So gear up to ask your parents to hike up your allowance!
Added tips for a successful job hunt
- Don’t lose hope- Be all about the silver lining rather than the cloud. So what if you didn’t get placed through campus interviews? There are plenty of companies offering entry level jobs that did not visit your campus but would be more than happy to hire you. The process may be a long drawn one, but will yield results eventually.
- Be prepared- Keep brushing up your notes, project reports and dissertations. You never know where that one shot comes up from.
- Stay in the loop- Keep checking job portals, websites of companies and other news bulletin for walk-in interview announcements. Join a few Facebook groups which list entry level positions in various cities.
- Create a Linkedin account- Having a Linkedin account is very important because you can project yourself the way you want to. A lot of firms also include job listings on the site for entry level position seekers to pounce on.
If tried hard and sincerely, landing a fresher’s job that pays well can actually be a cake walk!
Tips and Techniques to get a Good Job and a Bright Future
For the section of Expert Advise this time we present the interview
of TPO Head of United College of Engineering, Gr. Noida Mr Rohit Pandey.
Mr Rohit Pandey is the Head of Corporate Relation Cell of United College
of Engineering, Gr Noida. He has the experience of 8 years in the field of
training and placement. And on the basis of our talk we can definitely
say that he is very energetic and dynamic person. He says that “SUCCESS
CAN BE ACHIVED BY CONTINUOUS HARD WORK AND PRACTICE”. Here is the convo listed below between Our Editor and the TPO of United College.
UPTU KHABAR EDITOR: Hello Sir , We want to know that how a student can
transform himself during these four year of B.tech from a fresher to a corporate
Mr Rohit Pandey: First of all he should must be aware that why he has chosen the B.Tech in specific branch. He should be very clear about his domain. During the first year he should be given guideline about this through workshop. In Second Year they should be Given Corporate Interface so they he can have the insight what corporate is and how it Work’s so that he can develop interest and develop himself according to it. In third year student should focus on live project work. Also he should attend guest lectures who can guide them for the latest technology in there domain. For the final year he should be ready for industry. He should be practically as well as mentally ready to work in the corporate.It is suggested that through out his B.tech he should focus on his development of skill for all walk of life.
UPTU KHABAR EDITOR: Any special suggestion for final year student.
Mr Rohit Pandey : For final year student it is suggested that apart from there
domain knowledge that should focus on PERSONALITY GROOMING. Personality
development is not an one day show. Your personality play a maximum impact
in the corporate world.
For Aptitude focus more on practice and online learning. Self-learning is more important
then joining a coaching for it. Also the syllabus for the aptitude for placement and coaching
are of the different level. So I prefer student to study it themselves.
UPTU KHABAR EDITOR: What key skill should student must have for cracking the interview.
Mr Rohit Pandey : Communication is the major key skill which help the student to crack down the any short of interview.I had seen that sometime student have the very good technical skill but they lack the communication skill. For them I suggest that no one can teach you about communication.You can only improve your communication if you practice it.Try to communicate with more people around you. Student should themselves organise there own Group Discussion Session. Also your communication skill will help you to reach the highest point of success.
UPTU KHABAR EDITOR: What quality should a student had when they start there carrier.
Mr Rohit Pandey : A student who had just got placed should develop following qualities in themselves
- LEARNING: Each day technology is changing. And for this they can’t go back to college to learn about this changing technology. So they had to be self-learners. They have to keep on learning as “LEARNING IS A CONTINUOUS PROCESS”
- SUPPORTIVE: They should be very much supportive to their college and junior’s.It will help them to keep their carrier graph on high.
- LEADERSHIP: They should develop their leadership quality to lead.
- TEAM WORK: They should be a team player because you can’t do things alone in the corporate world.
UPTU KHABAR EDITOR: What do you think about the placement this year.
Mr Rohit Pandey: With the introduction of new reforms and policy it seems
that market is in good condition. There are expected boom in many sectors like
E-commerce, Automobile and IT. Also these year company seems to go for bulk
hiring as there is the rise of demand for IT professional. So student are going to have
good opportunity this year.
So I wish all the best to the student.
“ SUCCESS COMES WITH CONTINUOUS PRACTICE”
We hope our readers must have enjoyed the expert opinion on this subject matter. We shall try to bring more quality content in near future. Stay tuned.
Webmaster – UPTU Khabar